Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Geek Inside

Now that I've paid off my substantial debt to the Vancouver Public Library I've been able to sign-out a couple must reads. The first is entirely practical, 397 Ways to Save Money by Kerry K. Taylor. This book is fantastic because Kerry lived and rented in Vancouver for a number of years and so understands the cost of living in our freakishly expensive city. Her book brings out the miser in me. I love her ideas on how to save money through making your own cleaners, baby wipes, laundry detergent...you can make just about everything from scratch. Who knew? Check out Kerry's website at www.squawkfox.com for more great ideas.

The second book I'm reading is The China Study. My geek side is eating up the provocative ideas presented in this book. Based on research by the authors, T. Colin Campbell, PhD and Thomas M. Campbell II, The China Study uncovers the connection between diet and disease. In particular it presents the benefits of a whole foods, plant-based diet in promoting health and preventing illness. If you're tired of diet books with no empirical research to back up their theories (Boo Atkins, boo!) I strongly recommend this book. There are charts and graphs galore! You may even walk away from this book into the world of vegetarianism/veganism.

*Make sure to swallow a grain of salt before each reading.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! I just got a library card this summer so I have the 397 book on hold!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! It is so full of good ideas. I hope you find it useful

    ReplyDelete