Thursday, July 14, 2011

Behind the Scenes

These lemon and ginger scones are the pride and joy of my baking accomplishments. I generally burn what I bake but I'm trying to learn from experience and persevere through my failures. This is not my first batch of scones. Yesterday I tried the same recipe, except I ignored instructions and substituted whole wheat flour for all purpose flour and decided homo milk was an okay substitute for buttermilk. You shouldn't and it's not. Modifying recipes is not for beginners. My first batch burned. Today I gave it another go and almost followed the recipe exactly (I really can't help myself). I added a 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla for extra flavour and substituted yogurt for buttermilk. I also used fresh ginger instead of crystallized. I monitored these babies in the oven until they were perfect. Oh, and they were perfect. Maybe the best, not-quite healthy scones I've ever had. 

I love foodie blog pics but I've always wonder if it's all order and cleanliness behind the camera lens. For example, I have about five seconds to get a decent shot before this happens.

...And maybe a minute before my baking gets devoured.

Oh, and while I'm baking, chaos ensues. These are not props.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Michelle,

    Way to go on the photos of the chaos. It makes us all happy to know we are all in the same boat. :-D good for you ...cause I don't bake.
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are hilarious. I can never follow a recipe exactly either - where's the creativity in that? But my alterations aren't usually for the better...how do you get Levi to sit quietly and enjoy his tea? how long do I have to wait for that to happen?
    K Rose

    ReplyDelete