Sunday, February 5, 2012

How To be Mod(est)

On Left: Kim Appelt, Faster Rep and mom of three!

Friday night I attended a trunk show for the diffusion line of basics, Faster, by the knitwear designer, Mark Fast at The Westin Bayshore in Vancouver. My interest in Fast comes from a rather random association when 11 years ago we attended the same small Theology School in Abbotsford. We were acquainted through classes and it was one of those everybody-knows-everybody campuses. Imagine my surprise when years later I was going through runway shows on Style.com and I came across his collection at London fashion week. Theology to fashion. Who knew?


Mark Fast clothing is known for it's innovative knitwear techniques and body-con, revealing pieces. His diffusion line is exactly that and when looking at the dresses, tights and other intimates, it's clear you have to be confident in your bod to wear Faster. My first reaction was ha, ha! Nope. I couldn't/wouldn't wear these clothes any where but the bedroom (TMI, sorry). I've spent the last couple of days wondering how to bring some of my prudishness to his clothing and finally I had an Aha! moment. The beauty of basics is in the layering. 

Take this dress for example. Tight, short, hello cut-outs! Not something I'm going to wear every day. However, add a basic black cami underneath, a long pleated skirt over top, possibly a shear blouse to reveal some of the detail in the dress and your cool cut-out arms are still exposed for all to see. I would leave the house in this and the Alexander Wang booties (Because, you know, they're freakin' awesome). How would you make this dress work for you?
 1. UO blouse
2. AA black cami
3. Alexander Wang booties
4. Anthro skirt

For more info. Check out Mark Fast on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment