Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Great Betrayal

After days of intermittent pain and runs to the doctor's office the final diagnosis of my condition is biliary sludge. Doesn't that sound lovely? I was hoping for medication that would cure my pain but it turns out dietary changes are what's needed. I wont bore you with the details of exactly what biliary sludge is but if you're dying to know, check it out here. Most likely I developed sludge due to my pregnancy. I basically have to cut out my favorite foods for an indefinite period of time. No cheese or other creamy, dairy foods. I have to avoid high fat, processed foods and stick to a high fiber, veggie and fruit filled diet. 

The killer thing is that I've always tried to eat healthy and avoid certain foods, even limiting the amount of dairy I have, and now I have to completely eliminate the occasional treats I indulged in. I love cheese. If I lived in a world made out of cheese I would be a very fat, happy person. Except it turns out that world would be the death of me and I'd land myself on a surgeons table getting my gall bladder removed.

 It's fascinating to me how our bodies betray us. They're the home our soul lives in and it's a fragile existence. It's always when my body gives out on me that I remember how finite I am. I know that sounds depressing but really it makes me glad to remember that while my outward body is wasting away, it's my choice to allow my inside (as in my soul and spirit) to be renewed every day. 

Another great realization is that biliary sludge is like a mandatory diet plan. I'm being forced to eat even more healthy. No more of my mother-in-law's famous mud pie (that's what I'm grieving the most). But really, I'm excited for the challenge of finding alternative meal plans and seeing whether I can keep this beast under control. 

 Enough talk about my physical woes. It's time for some pretty bohemia up in here.



lots more bohemian tents at bohemian twilight


3 comments:

  1. Aw Michelle :) Way to see the bright side. Check out www.priscillalevac.com for some really tasty raw food recipes! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad they figured it out! I'm sorry you can't have cheese. :( :( :( :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jennie, thanks for the website. I'm excited to check it out

    ReplyDelete