Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Shape of Things to Come

There is a new shape to fashion that appeals to the part of me that wants my body to be hidden and private. I'm not ashamed of the curves I have but I do have a difficult time dressing them. A post baby body is especially hard to dress. A fitness trainer friend told me it takes four years after having a child for your body to get back to "normal." Whatever your normal is when you exercise and eat healthy. I don't think this means your boobs perk back up, but perhaps your hips realign themselves. That would be nice.

As I've browsed through the Spring 2013 runway shows I've found the exaggerated, sometimes even boxy shapes aesthetically appealing. The way the clothes are designed put women on a more even playing field. It doesn't matter if you're a pole bean or a pear, these clothes are structured to have a shape whatever body the wearer may have.

Marni. I think the shape of these pieces are beautiful and feminine without being overtly sexy.  They're designed to hide curves, which is a powerful statement. A woman who wears these clothes demonstrates her confidence is not found in drawing attention to her TNA.




Dries Van Noten. If I could high five an entire collection it's this one. The mix of print, floral and plaid is exquisite and appeals to the feminine, lumberjane in me. The peplum waists, loose fit and layering of these clothes are created for postpartum women who want to be comfortable and pretty (Okay, I'm sure that's not what Dries had in mind but because he's a genius, he made his clothes work for all women).





Bouchra Jarrar. Do I need to say anything? These tops flounce out at the front. Baby belly be gone!




At the risk of posting a gazillion pictures to make my point I'll stop here. So what do you think? Are you ready to embrace the new shapelessness?

No comments:

Post a Comment